For Release — July 30, 2018
Business Council highlights 2018 Business & Education Forum
Inaugural forum focusing on enhancing the talent pipeline will be held in Amherst, NY, featuring a keynote address from former U.S. Secretary of Education and President & CEO of The Education Trust, Dr. John B. King, Jr.
AMHERST, N.Y.—The Business Council of New York State, Inc., today announced details of the 2018 Business and Education Forum, an inaugural event designed to bring educators and business under one roof to discuss ways to bridge the talent gap and ensure New York businesses have access to the workforce they need.
The event, being held at the Buffalo Marriott Niagara in Amherst, NY (Thursday, August 16) features a keynote address from former U.S. Secretary of Education and President & CEO of The Education Trust, Dr. John B. King, Jr.
“This one-of-a-kind event, born out of the need to address the critical skills gap impacting workers and employers across the state, will bring together the best minds in industry, academia and government to come up with solutions and public policy goals aimed at ensuring a better future for New York’s children and businesses,” said Heather C. Briccetti, Esq., president and CEO of The Business Council of New York State, Inc. “We are so pleased to have such dynamic speakers, including Dr. John B King, Jr., and New York State Commissioner of Labor Roberta Reardon, who recognize the critical need for this discussion and are prepared to engage in a robust conversation to move New York forward.”
The event begins at 8:00 a.m. on Thursday, August 16 and concludes at 3:00 p.m. the same day. Business Council members and non-members looking to attend may register here.
Members of the media hoping to cover the event should contact The Business Council’s Director of Communications, Zack Hutchins, no later than Monday, August 13.
Additional speakers (listed alphabetically)
- Molly Blankenship, Community Advancement Manager, Association of Chamber of Commerce Executives
- Heather C. Briccetti, Esq., President and CEO, The Business Council of New York State, Inc.
- Dr. Kriner Cash, Superintendent, Buffalo Public Schools
- Caitlin Codella, Senior Director, Policy and Programs, U.S. Chamber of Commerce Foundation
- Allison L. Dembeck, Executive Director of Congressional and Public Affairs Education, Labor,
& Workforce Development, U.S. Chamber of Commerce
- Johanna Duncan-Poitier, Senior Vice Chancellor for Community Colleges and the Education Pipeline, State University of New York
- Fannie Glover, Director of Special Projects at Early Care & Learning Council, Early Care & Learning Council
- Ariane Hegewisch, Program Director for Employment and Earnings, Institute for Women's Policy Research
- Dr. Michelle Kavanaugh, President and Founder, WNY STEM Hub, Empire STEM Network
- Amy Hines Kramer, Assistant Vice President in External Affairs, AT&T New York
- Bill Millett, Founder, Scope View Strategic Advantage
- Amber L Mooney, Manager of Government Affairs, The Business Council of New York State, Inc.
- Michael O'Sullivan, Senior Director of Government Relations, The College Board
- Cynthia Proctor, Director of Communications and Academic Policy Development for the Office of the Provost, The State University of New York
- Kevin B. Quinn, Head of Corporate Banking Midwest and New England Region , HSBC Bank USA, N.A.
- Roberta Reardon, Commissioner, New York State Department of Labor
- Andrea Rogers Barry, Founder and Partner, Empire Charter Consultants
- Geoffrey Rosenberger, Board Chair, Rochester Prep Charter Schools
- Ian Rosenblum, Executive Director, The Education Trust - New York
- Paul S. Speranza, Jr., CEO, Paul Speranza Advisors
- Kelly Malone Sturgis, Executive Director, New York State Network for Youth Success
- Dr. Lin Zhou, IBM Watson Education; IBM Industry Academy Member