May 1, 2002
Council's seminars on labor law will address effects of Sept. 11 terrorism, technology
How the terrorism of Sept. 11 has affected employers will be one focus of The Business Council's annual seminar series on labor and employment law at four locations around the state in June.
These one-day seminars are scheduled for Buffalo (June 10), Waterloo (June 11), Albany (June 12), and Poughkeepsie (June 13).
The seminar offers human-resources professionals the latest information on workplace law and employee-benefits management from top specialists in these areas.
Speakers will outline a proactive approach to managing workplace legal issues. The goal is to help employers avoid legal penalties, costly litigation, and reduced productivity.
Topics: This year's seminars will focus on a number of topics, including:
- How the Sept. 11 terrorism has affected human-resources issues in the workplace. Relevant issues include how employers conduct employee background checks, mail handling, employee travel, and discrimination claims based on employees' national origins.
- How employers can minimize the risks of litigation associated with reductions in workforce, and the role of releases and settlement agreements in workforce reductions.
- How technologies can help employers manage employee-benefits plans.
- How employers can avoid sexual harassment claims.
Speakers: Presenters at the seminars will include:
- Four partners in Jackson Lewis, a national labor and employment law firm: Roger Gilson, Robert Heiferman, Richard Landau and Lewis Silverman.
- Three leaders of the Daniels Benefits Group: J. Martin Brayboy, Keith Dolan and David Melby. A division of the Daniels Agency, the Daniels Benefits Group helps employers buy and maintain benefits and retirement plans.
- Joseph D. Markland, president and founder of Benefits Technology Consulting Group (BTCG), which focuses on employee-benefits technology solutions for employers, insurance brokers and insurance companies.
- Christopher S. Bernardine, executive vice president of Beacon Benefit Communicators, a Maryland-based full-service benefits communications, marketing and employee benefits company.