February 4, 2000
Council outlines Governor's tax proposals
The Business Council has analyzed tax-related proposals in Governor Pataki's 2000-2001 Executive Budget.
The four-page summary was prepared by Rich Schwarz, The Council's expert in state taxation. It analyzes proposals related to:
- The alcoholic beverage tax.
- The corporations and utilities taxes (Article 9).
- The corporation franchise tax (Article 9-A).
- The metropolitan commuter transportation district surcharge.
- The petroleum business tax.
- The sales and use tax.
- Miscellaneous taxes, including real-property taxes, and the STAR property-tax reduction program.
The document includes details on the Governor's package of tax changes targeted to benefit the upstate economy, including his proposals to eliminate the gross receipts tax on energy utilities, to establish a new tax credit for brownfield cleanup, to enact a small-business tax cut, and to enact various tax incentives for upstate.