For Release — Monday, June 30, 1997
THE FACTS" BOOKLET
SHOWS KEY ECONOMIC AND SOCIAL INDICATORS FOR NEW YORK
The Public Policy Institute, research affiliate of The Business Council of New York State Inc., today released its 1997-98 edition of Just The Facts, a compilation of important data about New York State.
Among the 54 tables in the booklet are statistics showing:
- New York State's job growth continues to lag that of the nation. But, our growth rate is significantly closer to the national pace than it was in the early 1990s.
- New York is among the leading states for new business incorporations, Fortune 500 company headquarters, major new corporate facilities and commercial bank assets.
- In the last two years, New York has cut taxes far more than any other state. Still, our overall tax burden remains the highest in the nation.
- Energy costs for both electricity and natural gas are higher in New York than elsewhere.
- Unemployment insurance coverage typically lasts longer in New York than in any other state, and our workers' compensation costs are still high.
- Our system of lawsuits as measured by liability awards of $1 million or more, and the median compensatory damage award is the most costly in the nation.
Single copies of Just The Facts are available from The Public Policy Institute, 152 Washington Avenue, Albany 12210, 518-465-7511.