November 12, 1998
Three members honored with Council's 'Building A Better New York' award
Three members of The Business Council's Environment Committee received The Council's "Building A Better New York" award, given in recognition for outstanding contributions to Business Council advocacy efforts.
The awards were presented Nov. 5 at The Business Council's annual environmental conference in Saratoga Springs.
Recipients of the award are:
- Patrick E. Brown, President of DMR Data in Albany, who helped develop and implement the state's first program for the electronic submission of regulatory data.
- Thomas F. Walsh, a partner in the law firm of Jaeckle Fleischmann & Mugel, and Linda R. Shaw, a partner in the law firm of Knauf Craig Koegel & Shaw, for their substantial contributions to the development of legislative proposals for the reform of state Superfund and the creation of a state "brownfield" development program.
"The Business Council relies heavily on its members in developing and achieving its agenda," said Edward Reinfurt, vice president of The Business Council, in making the presentation. "And it is only fitting that we formally recognize those individuals who are helping us make a difference."
In describing the award, which is an engraved plaque affixed to a "common 30-cent building brick," Reinfurt said that it signified New York's history as an industrial leader.
At the same ceremony, Peter J. Alexandro from Wyeth Ayrst Pharmaceuticals was also recognized for his two year term as co-chair of the Environment Committee. His successor, James M. Shaw, environmental manager from Alcoa, will serve with Kent Webb, manager of environmental safety and energy at Outokampu American Brass, as co-chairpersons for 1999.
The Business Council has sponsored the conference for 23 years. This year, more than 400 people attended the annual two-day conference, which drew top environmental professionals from around the state, including officials from the New York State Department of environmental Conservation, the New York State Senate and Assembly, as well as other state and governmental agencies.
The conference is intended for executives and environmental managers at any business that must comply with environmental regulations or that helps other firms comply. This conference has grown over the years to become the premier meeting of its kind in New York.
The Business Council thanks the following companies for supporting this conference by becoming sponsors:
- Dames & Moore
- Dvirka & Bartilucci Consulting Engineers
- Galson Corporation (an ENSR Corporation)
- Harris, Beach & Wilcox, LLP
- Gibb Group
- Marcor Remediation
- The O'Brien & Gere Companies