2003 LEGISLATIVE PROGRAM
Following is The Business Council's 2003 Legislative Program. It identifies priority
Advocate legislation or regulations which will foster the growth of the Internet and e-commerce including, but not limited to, issues involving:
Privacy, use of information technologies, tax policy, amendments to the State Technology Law, the Uniform Commercial Code as well as the National Uniform Electronic Transaction Act.
- Support enforcement of existing laws against fraudulent and deceptive marketers and promote consumer empowerment technologies.
- Oppose legislation that imposes onerous burdens or liabilities on providers.
- Support a moratorium on any new taxes on commercial Internet transactions.
- Support industry-led initiatives to protect consumers' privacy over the Internet.
- Oppose legislation which would regulate the content on the Internet.
- Oppose legislation prohibiting the use of social security numbers as identifiers.
- Support legislation promoting educational technology.