Energy Committee Update
June 20, 2017
Staff Contact: Darren Suarez
Today the Senate Energy Committee met to take the first steps to filling the opening on the Public Service Commission (PSC).
The committee met this morning to consider the appointment of the following to the Public Service Commission:
- Philip G. Wilcox, a business representative for IBEW Local 97
- Diane X. Burman, current Commissioner
- James S. Alesi, former State Senate Chair of the Economic Development Committee. As a Senator, he advanced and advocated for the continuation and expansion of the low cost power for economic development
Former Senator Alesi was unable to attend the hearing because he was recovering from surgery. Commissioner Burman and Mr. Wilcox answered questions from legislators for almost two hours. The questioning was not confrontational and ranged from questions related to support for hydro-power to the treatment of ESCOs, disclosure of the cost of the Clean Energy Standard, and the treatment of Low to Moderate Income customers.
The committee also considered the appointment of the following to the New York State Energy Research and Development Authority:
- Charles Bell, Programs Director for Consumers Union
- Sukanya Paciorek, Executive Vice President and Head of Asset Management at the Brooklyn Navy Yard Development Corporation
- Kate Fish, head of the Adirondack North Country Association
The committee meeting will be available shortly at the following link: Energy and Telecom Committee Meeting
The legislature is scheduled to conclude tomorrow. The Senate Finance Comittee and the full Senate will next consider and then possibly vote on the nominees. The Senate Energy Committee on June 6threviewed the nomination of John Rhodes for the position of PSC Chair. That committee meeting can be viewed here: Chair Hearing.
Darren Suarez | Director of Government Affairs
The Business Council of New York State, Inc.
111 Washington Avenue, Suite 400 | Albany, NY 12210
Tel. 518.465.7511 ext. 206 | Fax 518.465.4389
firstname.lastname@example.org | www.bcnys.org