Home

FEBRUARY 1998

Illness and injury rates

New York workers suffer occupational injuries and illness at a rate that is below the national average, according to a recent report by the state Department of Labor.

The report is entitled Occupational Injuries and Illnesses Survey, Incidence Rate Data, Private Industries, New York State, 1995.

In 1995, private sector workers in New York experienced occupational injury and illness at a rate of 5.1 occurrences for every 100 full-time employees, the report said. This rate was well below the national average of 8.1 cases per 100 full-time workers. Injury and illness rates have declined in recent years.

Of 271,000 occupational injuries and illnesses reported, 51 percent resulted in lost work time or restricted work activity or both. The other 49 percent, while not serious enough to incur time away from work, nevertheless required medical treatment beyond basic first aid.

February 19, 1998