Home

Erie County, New York / Buffalo Bills stadium

Previous | Erie Home | Next

Erie County, New York / Buffalo Bills-stadium

Ralph Wilson Stadium, home of the NFL Buffalo Bills.

The Buffalo Bills are a tremendous asset to the community of Orchard Park.  The franchise was established in 1959 and the team played its early games at War Memorial Stadium in Buffalo.  In the late 1960’s, bonds were approved to build a new stadium; a 130 acre tract of land in Orchard Park was purchased.  Construction began on April 4, 1972.  The stadium was completed in 1973, and the Bills became one of the first teams ever to sell the naming rights to their stadium.  It was dubbed Rich Stadium, in response to Rich Foods' purchase of the naming rights.  Over time, the stadium has seen a number of major improvements, including the addition of a 31.5' x 41.5' JumboTron video/scoreboard.  In 1998, it was renamed Ralph Wilson Stadium after the Bills' owner, and the following year, a massive renovation occurred that featured the addition of 76 dugout suites, seat warmers for club seats and cup holders for all seats.  Today, Ralph Wilson Stadium remains one of the NFL's best stadiums.